Trusted experts. Advanced technology. Comprehensive stroke care.
When it comes to strokes, “time is brain”: rapid diagnosis and treatment are key in achieving positive outcomes for stroke patients. Once a stroke starts, about 1.9 million brain cells may die each minute until the blood supply to the brain is restored.
The Stroke Team at White Plains Hospital consists of specially trained emergency physicians, nurses, and highly experienced neurointerventional specialists that work together to ensure stroke patients and those with other neurological conditions receive the right treatment at the right time, which is critical for positive outcomes.
Our expert team is supported by advanced imaging techniques that help facilitate rapid assessment and diagnosis. They include:
- Biplane angiography
- PET/MRI – The only in Westchester
- CT perfusion scanning
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
- Transcranial doppler ultrasound (TCD)
- Carotid ultrasound
Our advanced treatments include:
- Mechanical Thrombectomy: The highest-quality acute stroke care currently available and the gold standard for stroke treatment. Performed in the Hospital’s new biplane angiography suite, mechanical thrombectomies can save critical time for stroke patients and potentially save lives. During this minimally invasive procedure, specially designed instruments are inserted into a large blood vessel in the groin through a small port and threaded through thin catheters to reach – and remove – blood clots in the brain.
- Clot-busting Medications: Tenecteplase, also known as TNK, is injected intravenously to dissolve blood clots and restore blood flow to the brain. White Plains Hospital has been consistently recognized for administering thrombolytics to stroke patients within 60 minutes of arrival to the ED. Rapid TNK treatment improves survival and reduces the likelihood of complications and disability following ischemic stroke.
Elevated Stroke Care at White Plains Hospital
In 2022, the Hospital introduced a new biplane angiography suite. This leading-edge technology allows physicians to access clear, precise, multiple views of the brain – frontal and lateral – simultaneously, in real-time. Supported by a 3D vascular roadmap, physicians can navigate from outside the body to inside the brain in minutes, lessening the duration of being under anesthesia, accelerating recovery and producing 75% less radiation than traditional single-plane imaging.
Our exemplary stroke care capabilities are enhanced by a collaboration with neurointerventional surgeons at Montefiore that uses artificial intelligence for quicker diagnosis, an innovative telestroke program for 24/7 bedside neurology care along with neurologists on-call during off hours, and a growing team of specialists.
White Plains Hospital provides comprehensive, supportive stroke care. Following treatment and stabilization, stroke patients are cared for and closely monitored in one of the Hospital’s intensive care units or on the neurological step-down unit, both of which are staffed with highly trained clinicians experienced in post-stroke care.
Rehabilitation begins in the inpatient setting, with physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy, all available on-site. Following discharge, rehabilitation care can be continued at the renowned Burke Rehabilitation Hospital in White Plains (also a member of the Montefiore Health System), at another skilled nursing facility, or at home, depending on the patient’s needs.
The Hospital’s Care Management Team works closely with each patient and their loved ones to ensure a seamless continuum of quality care and effective rehabilitation services following discharge to enhance recovery.