TRUE OR FALSE?
Telehealth allows you to visit with a doctor from the comfort of your own home. You might be surprised by the variety of care you can get through telehealth. Take this quiz to learn more.
START THE QUIZ
True or false? Telehealth, telemedicine and telecare always mean the same thing.
False. All of these terms are related—and they're often used interchangeably. But some doctors, healthcare organizations and insurance providers may have different definitions for each term. For example, some may use telemedicine to refer to services provided by doctors and telehealth to describe visits with other healthcare providers, such as nurses, social workers or pharmacists. In this quiz, we're using telehealth to refer to any type of virtual healthcare visit.
True or false? You need a smartphone to be able to have a telehealth visit.
False. You can have a telehealth visit using your tablet or computer. You can also visit with just a phone call, although you'll be missing the video component of a telehealth visit.
True or false? Most insurance covers telehealth visits.
True. Most insurance providers, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover telehealth visits just like regular office visits. Check with your insurance company to find out what they do and don't pay for.
True or false? Telehealth expands your access to specialists.
True. You may be able to visit with specialists outside of your area much more easily with telehealth. This is especially true if you live far from a major metropolitan area.
True or false? Telehealth isn't always your best option.
True. There are still times when it's best to be seen in person. For example, you may need a physical exam. Or you may need an x-ray or other diagnostic tests.
Think you're ready to schedule a telehealth visit? There are steps you can take to prepare for a successful appointment.
- FamilyDoctor.org. "Telemedicine." https://familydoctor.org/telemedicine/?adfree=true.
- Federal Communications Commission. "Telehealth, Telemedicine, and Telecare: What's What?" https://www.fcc.gov/general/telehealth-telemedicine-and-telecare-whats-what.
- HealthyChildren.org. "Can Telehealth 'Video Visits' Be a Good Option for My Child? How Do They Work?" https://www.healthychildren.org/English/tips-tools/ask-the-pediatrician/Pages/Can-video-visits-be-good-for-my-child.aspx.
- HealthyChildren.org. "Telehealth Services Start With Your Pediatrician." https://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/health-management/Pages/Telehealth-Services-for-Children.aspx.
- National Council on Aging. "Getting the Care You Need via Telemedicine." https://www.ncoa.org/article/getting-the-care-you-need-via-telemedicine.
- Telehealth.HHS.gov. "Finding Telehealth Options." https://telehealth.hhs.gov/patients/finding-telehealth-options.
- Telehealth.HHS.gov. "What Is Telehealth?" https://telehealth.hhs.gov/patients/understanding-telehealth.