Keeping You Healthy and Safe
The Security Department at White Plains Hospital is here for your safety. If you have any questions about your safety, you may call Security at 914-681-2086 or 914-681-3088.
Smoking and the use of tobacco products is prohibited anywhere in the hospital or on hospital grounds.
We conduct fire drills periodically. If you hear an alarm, stay where you are and wait for instructions from your nurse or caregiver. In the event of an actual emergency, hospital staff will assure your safety.
CALL DON’T FALL
Each year an estimated 3-20% of patients in U.S. hospitals fall, causing pain and an extended stay. At White Plains Hospital your safety is everything to us.
A fall or injury resulting from a fall can happen to anyone while in a hospital. Because your safety is important to us, we ask that you follow these simple steps to prevent falls.
- Use your call bell if you need assistance.
- Ask yourself first: Am I able to get out of bed?
- Do not touch any of the safety controls at the foot of the bed.
- Keep your call bell and other personal items within reach.
- Always put your call light on and wait for help before you get out of bed if you feel weak, dizzy, or have taken pain medication.
- Sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes before you stand up, and stand up slowly. (Again, ask for assistance. We’re here to help!)
- Wear non-skid shoes or socks.
- If you have compression stockings on your lower legs, call us to help you take them off.
- Keep two side rails up at all times. Do not rely solely on the side rails to support you.
- Let your caregivers know if you use a cane, walker, or other assistive device.
- If something spills on the floor, or if you notice too much clutter in your room, let us know immediately by calling the nurses’ station.
GETTING OUT OF BED
Follow your caregivers’ instructions about getting out of bed and moving around your room.