My Doctor told me—take a hike!
Dr. Angela Pereira
February 15, 2019
| 0 comments
Regular exercise, even taking a daily walk, can have a huge impact on your overall health and sense of well-being.
Everyone benefits from regular exercise. Your age, gender and level of athleticism really don’t matter.
And although I recommend raising that heart rate with at least 30 minutes a day, any amount of activity will help.
Regular exercise can…
• help you lose pounds and maintain a healthy weight
• help prevent heart disease and high blood pressure
• boost “good cholesterol”
• lower your risk for stroke, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes and many types of cancer
• fight mental illness in the form of anxiety and depression
• improve cognitive function
• help you sleep better
• give you an emotional lift when you need one
So what are you waiting for? Get a move on.
Can’t get to the gym? Then, take a walk.
Too busy to take a walk? Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Need to clean the house? How about picking up the pace a little.
When it comes to the many forms of exercise, it’s all good.
Dr. Angela Pereira is an internal medicine specialist at White Plains Internal Medicine.