In some cases, minimally invasive robotic surgery may be an option. At White Plains Hospital, our surgeons are on the leading edge of robotics performing more laparoscopic and robotic procedures overall than any other hospital in Westchester County. Here, they utilize the most up-to-date da Vinci® surgical system to perform minimally invasive head and neck surgeries.
In fact, our surgeons were the first to perform a trans-oral robotic surgery (TORS) in the treatment of throat cancer that involved radical tonsillectomy. Previously, surgical resection of these tumors involved very complex and invasive methods that resulted in higher blood loss, extended hospitalization, as well as breathing and feeding tubes. With the advantage of its optics and wristed robotic arms, robotic surgery using the da Vinci system enables our surgeons to perform an equally, if not more effective removal of cancerous cells with a minimally invasive technique typically requiring a shorter hospitalization, simpler reconstruction, and faster rehabilitation than open techniques.
Among the conditions we treat:
- Salivary gland diseases
- Benign and malignant skull base tumors
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue, throat, and voice box
- Cancers that arise in the nasal cavity, sinuses, lips, mouth, thyroid glands, salivary glands, throat, or voice box
Surgeries we perform:
- Advanced sinus and skull base endoscopic sinus surgery
- Cochlear implant surgery
- Primary benign and malignant salivary gland tumors
- Surgery to correct obstructive sleep apnea
- da Vinci® transoral robotic-assisted surgery (TORS)
To Find a Physician call 914-849-MyMD