A safe, comfortable, and successful surgery experience is dependent on following certain pre-operative guidelines from your doctor. These include but are not limited to the following:
Download WPH Surgical Guide
- Please do not eat after midnight (12 a.m.), the night before your surgery. This includes gum, hard candy, mints and chewing gum. You may have clear liquids up to three hours prior to your surgery, unless your surgeon has instructed you otherwise.
- We encourage you to brush your teeth the morning of surgery however please be careful not to swallow any water.
- Bring a complete list of any medications you may be taking, including injections, aspirin, compounds containing aspirin, anti-inflammatories, herbal preparations, and vitamins. Consult with your doctor regarding when or if you should take medication prior to surgery.
- Please shower the night before and the morning of surgery with antibacterial soap. If your surgeon has instructed you, please use Hibiclens during these showers.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and flat, supportive shoes. Do not wear makeup. If you wear dentures, a partial plate, contact lenses, or any other prosthesis, you may be asked to remove them before surgery. Your nurse will label the item and keep it in a safe place until your return.
- On the morning of your surgery please do not use any hair products, perfume, cologne, after-shave or scented lotions. Be sure to remove all jewelry and body piercing items from your body. These can pose the possibility of injury if worn during surgery.
- If you develop a cold, fever, or rash, notify your surgeon. Your surgery may be postponed.
- For any leg surgery, wear clothing that can accommodate bandages such as sweat pants, shorts, or skirts. If you will need crutches after surgery, bring them with you.
- One person may stay in the Ambulatory Surgery Department with you while you are recovering. Please do not bring children (other than the patient) to the hospital.
- Surgical patients are requested to report to the Admitting Office (main floor) two hours prior to the scheduled time of surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your surgeon’s office.
- It is mandatory that a responsible adult accompany you and drive you home upon your discharge. This must be arranged before the day of surgery. The telephone number of your designated driver must be given to the Ambulatory Surgery Department nurse. Surgery will not be performed unless these arrangements have been made. Do not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours after surgery (unless otherwise instructed). A taxi driver is not considered a responsible adult. Your driver must be available for discharge instructions.
- Please do not bring valuables into the Hospital. If you must bring valuables, we ask that you place them in the safe in the Cashier's Office located on the main floor next to the Admitting Department.