Make an Online Donation
We appreciate the loyal support from all of our friends...
Diagnostic Tests for Spinal Disorders
When you have back pain, your doctor may order one or more of the following diagnostic tests to determine the cause of the pain, its location, and its severity. The following tests are available at White Plains Hospital:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Computed tomography (CT scanning)
- Myelography, the injection of a contrast dye into the spinal canal to enhance x-ray imaging of the spine; used to diagnose spinal nerve injury, herniated discs, fractures, back or leg pain, and spinal tumors.
- Discography, a means of visualizing the spinal discs using CT scanning and a contrast agent.
- Electromyography to diagnose nerve and muscle dysfunction and spinal cord disease; it records the electrical activity from the brain and/or spinal cord to a peripheral nerve root (in the arms and legs) that controls muscles during contraction and at rest.
- Nerve conduction testing to assess nerve function